Start off with some reference:
I figured the easiest way to build this mask would be to use a program called Pepakura Designer. Pepakura Designer allows you to create paper craft models from 3D models. Now personally I hate working with paper craft, but the class is pain 101.
To start off, I contracted a very talented artist to 3D model the mask, as I am not that familiar with 3D software. Within a span of 24 hours he came back with this:
I was absolutely amazed at how fast he was able to produce this. Unfortunately the amount of polygons in this rendering was too high for Pepakura Designer, so we had to lose some of the detail. But all in all even with the loss of detail it was still perfect for a starting point.
This is how it looked once it was imported into Pepakura Designer, unfolded and ready for print.
Next step, print, cut, score and glue.
Now that I have a 3D paper model I can start the wonderful world of fiberglass.
Some features were lost when the file was converted to a lower Polygon count, so I had to do some cutting and shaping to get the correct look back.
Pieces of cardboard were added to fix the nose area. Then it was fiberglassed, filled and smoothed.
Next step was to add the brow lines. To do this I cut the shape I wanted out of ABS and then epoxied and screwed the pieces into place,
More filler was added to cover the screw holes and hide any seems. The same thing was also done for the nose.
Lots of filler and spot putty.
Primed and ready to cut the mouth slits.
For this I designed a template in Adobe Illustrator, lined it up, taped it down and cut it with a Dremel tool.
More spot putty.
Finished piece primed white. There are some minor changes I still want to make which I will show later when I am finished.