Saturday, March 29, 2014

Years ago I had purchased an Iron Man mark 3 helmet off of the rpf from a member by the name of finhead. After it sitting in a box and collecting dust I thought it would be a cool idea to let my facebook fans decide how the helmet was to be finished. As it was about a month before Iron Man 3 was released and a few trailers were out that showed a very destroyed version of the helmet. I posted a poll to help me decide, either a clean unused version or the destroyed version from the trailer. Well as you might have guessed the destroyed version won.

Since there is not a lot of build up here, as the helmet was already built, I will just go through the paint up process.

Actually before I could start the paint process I needed to cut the slit into the front of the helmet as seen in the movie. To do this I took a screen grab from the trailer and made an outline of the crack in Adobe Illustrator. I then printed it out and traced the crack onto the helmet.


Next step was to carefully cut out the section with a dremel tool. I made sure to keep the edges kind of rough as if it was really broken it would probably not be a clean break.




Now on to the fun part... the paint up!

This paint job had to be done in several layers because it had to look scratched, chipped and really weathered. The first pieces I started painting were the 2 halves of the face plate. I used a spray paint called Montana Gold. They make all different kinds of colors, but of course I used shiny gold. At the time I had never used this type of paint, but always heard good things about it. As you can see from the photos I was very pleased with how it came out.



Unfortunately because I knew I was doing the destroyed version, I knew this paint couldn't stay shiny for long. I scuffed it up with a light sanding pad to take away some of the shine. The top picture shows the shine of the untouched paint and the bottom shows the scuffed up side next to the shiny side. It still retains a bit of the shine, but not the way it was before.



As for the rest of the helmet it needed a base coat of sliver so that all the scratches and chips would show through the red top coat.



To make the paint look like it was chipped off I cut out shapes that matched parts from the movie trailer out of a vinyl sticker material and placed them on the helmet.




Now it was time for the top coat of Pepper Red automotive paint. This was sprayed through an air gun to get the perfect finish. Once the Pepper Red had fully cured, I used an x-acto knife to carefully peal off the vinyl stickers.





The next step was to tape off the chin so it could be painted to match the face plate.


The final step was to add the scratches and burn marks. This was achieved by using acrylic paint with different shapes and styles of brushes. Here is the final version with the lenses placed in sitting next to my scratch built arc reactor.


No comments:

Post a Comment